Monday, March 16, 2009

Road Trip, Chapter III, Oklahoma

You may have noticed that I've put off writing about our trip through Oklahoma. It may be because I don't care for Oklahoma's Great Plains and Frontier countries, and I'm amazed that anyone wants to live there. My brother and his wife and families just love it there--they live in Wynnewood, a little more than an hour south of Oklahoma City. I don't understand it. But the people are nice.

My mother was born in Webber Falls, Oklahoma which is in the Northern portion of the state and a bit prettier than the southern section, but her family moved to Enid when she was a baby. (We didn't take time to go to Enid.) Grandpa was a farmer and the dust bowl problems caused them to pack up their belongings and 10 kids, and drive them all west to California. It was like a scene from "Grapes of Wrath," as they piled into an old truck with their belongings and set out for the promised land. Sometimes I wonder if my feelings involve past lives. I have Indian ancestry. Maybe I was on the The Trail of Tears in a previous life. Anyway, for me, the territory feels sad and depressed.

Anyway, after leaving Texas, we took the most direct route to my brother's home in Wynnewood and were there in the late afternoon. We planned to meet them for Dinner at a Mexican restaurant in the next town--Tio's. We had a nice visit and saw all the kids, told them how much they had grown since we saw them last, etc. The next morning we struck out to Webber's Falls, the small town where my mother was born. There wasn't much there.
<-
Looking East toward the Arkansas River, about a block at the end of this road. The end of this street used to be a bridge that continued over the river. That bridge was moved about 1/2 mile, directing traffic away from the heart of Webbers Falls. It now struggles to even exist as a town, which has claim to being the second oldest town in Oklahoma, established in the early 1820's. From there we headed home to St Louis. This part of the trip was direct and site-seeing consisted of gazing from one side of the freeway to the other stopping only for gasoline and refreshments. Our thoughts were on getting home to St Louis. We had traveled more than 1600 miles in 5 days--a whirlwind of sites and activities. And now we are home and planning for another trip in April, this time to Arizona--another chapter in the adventures of a wild and crazy Midwestern couple. "Y'all come back now! ya heyah?"

No comments:

Post a Comment