Monday, March 16, 2009

Road Trip, Chapter II, South Central Arkansas

We left Hot Springs about 11:00 a.m., after having coffee in our room and showering again in the natural springs that was piped into each room of the hotel, then checking out. We took a last look over the town, park and springs, then headed southwest to Texas making a detour to Arkadelphia and Okalona, in Clark County, Arkansas.





Arkadelphia is located in Clark County, along Interstate 30, about 65 miles from Little Rock, 40 miles from the Crater of Diamonds State Park, and 25 miles from Hot Springs. We stopped at the Courthouse which was built in 1899. I wanted to check out some old court records of my grandmother's family, then we found a cute restaurant, the Honeycomb, and had a nice lunch. (The Honeycomb Restaurant exists for two main purposes: one, providing work for our clients, and two, providing a downtown restaurant with good, affordable food--and the food WAS good and affordable. I had a yummy chef salad that I couldn't finish. I don't remember what He had.)

On to Okalona...

My paternal Grandmother was born in Okalona and apparently I do have relatives there. It was off the beaten path, a winding, scenic road back in time, to a small town with one old convenience store with a broken gas pump out front, a small post office across the street, and an aluminum sided fire station up the road. We stopped in at the convenience store in town and met a fellow that grew up with my distant cousin or uncle (yet to be determined through Ancestry.com) and got directions to the old homestead of a great-great aunt. Well, we just had to go check it out. I'm not really sure if we saw the actual house, but what was there met the description by the old man.



(left--Arkadelphia court house; center--Okalona, aunt Clemmy's house? right--Okalona, Mr. Malcom, The old fellow seemed to think we were related in some way.)

Due to time constraints (needing to be in Longview, Texas by 5:30 or 6:00 p.m.), cut our exploration short and headed back to the main road and on South. I'd have to wait for another trip to explore Prescott (where my dad was born) and Hope (where there is some of the best mexican food I've ever tasted).


to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment