Sunday, January 18, 2009

As Time Goes By...

I'm amazed that everything I do reminds me of our dear Greta-Girl, our pet German Shepherd of 11-plus years that passed-away a few days ago. I'm having a rough time right now and I know, and everyone tells me, it will get easier to bear as time passes.
I've gone through this before. In the 80's, I adopted a kitten that was rescued from a barn wall. It was an adorable, fluffy, pure white ferrel kitten with blue eyes. I named her Sassy-frass. When I brought her home and put her down, she quickly disappeared under the cabinets in the kitchen. It took a day or so to coax her out. Knowing she would get hungry, I placed a saucer of food at the space that she had climbed behind and stood quietly nearby, waiting for her to creep out. She finally did and I swooped in and grabbed her. I blocked that hole and kept her with me until she trusted me, eventually becoming a wonderful and loving pet.



Well, Sassy was out one day, strayed into the street and was hit by a car. She was quickly carried to the vet but she was injured too badly. I decided to put her to sleep. Sassy was only with me about two years but I was smitten. I remember missing her for a very long time.

So, as I remind myself of my grieving for Sassy, I feel somewhat soothed that I will eventually be able to resume my daily activities without sobbing every few minutes about Greta. I'll be able to mop up spilled water and remember mopping up after Greta when she lapped water all over the floor and not cry. I'll be able to make dollar-sized pancakes without crying about the ones I made for her when we had them on Sunday mornings. I'll be able to vacuum the floor and remember all the hair she shed--everywhere--and not burst into tears. I'll be able to handle a plastic bag and smile when I remember when I used to grab one, shake it in the air, and yell out "Poop Patrol," and she came bounding after me to go outside to clean up her trophies. (She was proud of them, often pointing them out to me.) Greta helped me feed the birds, faithfully following me out to the feeder and "helping" me fill it. She never chased the birds but she would run off a pesty squirrel from time-to-time.

There are so many more great things to remember about Greta and I may have to subject you to them as I work out my pain and grief. This seems to help a bit. Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment