Thursday, December 6, 2007

Back In My Day...


I was at the grocery yesterday getting some things. Bread was among the things we needed. There was a young woman shuffling through the loaves of bread muttering, then she spoke to me saying, "I remember when bread was just a dollar--now it's almost $4 a loaf!" I gently touched her arm and looked her in the eyes and said, "Honey, I remember when it was 15 cents."


Amazing. In the 50's I would be sent to the store to get a loaf of bread that cost 15-cents. It was sliced white bread. The "better" breads (whole wheat, etc.) might have cost a few cents more per loaf but there wasn't much call for them in my blue-collar, working class neighborhood. We didn't buy that much bread in those days anyway since we usually had homemade biscuits and cornbread, and on special occasions, like Christmas or Thanksgiving, we would have yeast bread (home-made dinner rolls)--priceless.

1 comment:

  1. The other day my neice mentioned that her mom was out of bread and she had to make it from scratch because they couldn't afford a trip to the store at the moment. I thought to myself that the homemade bread was more precious to have then the trip to the store. Sometimes it is worth it to be on inventory reduction - what we call having to eat what we have instead of buying more convenience stuff.

    ReplyDelete