Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Aging and the Thermostat

I'm here to admit that we have noticed a tolerance for the Missouri summer, more this year than all our years prior. I mean, last summer most my entries complained about the heat. The thermostat was always set on 68-70 degrees in the house. I ran around the house with as little on as possible. It has been different this year. Although we still don't like the heat and humidity of midwest summers, it has been more tolerable. We keep the thermostat at a fairly constant 77 degrees with the fan on to move the air around. Interesting.

It has long been understood that elderly people are less sensitive to heat than the younger population. They perspire less and are more likely to have health problems requiring medications that can impair the body's response to heat. While I don't relish the thought of placing myself in the category of the elderly, it seems to be a fact that I cannot deny. So, I'm reminding you: Please check on the elderly during extreme heat and cold. (It'll be nice to see you.)

I saw men whom thirty years had changed but slightly; but their wives had
grown old. These were good women; it is very wearing to be good.

- Life on the Mississippi


1 comment:

  1. where are the block party pictures? you put them up last year.

    ReplyDelete